Southern Arizona Land Trust (SALT) RENTAL CRITERIA
SALT does not discriminate against any person based on race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or familial status. The Rental Criteria below explains the policies that must be met by each applicant in order to be approved for residency.
All parties 18 years of age or older are required to complete an application and pay any and all applicable fees.
All applicants are required to show a valid, non-expired driver’s license or government issued photo identification.
Your credit history will be verified by a third-party verification company. Management will receive a credit recommendation based on statistical data such as payment history, number and type of accounts, outstanding debt, and age of accounts.
Written verification of income in an amount equal to at least 2.5 times the monthly rent (in combination with the restrictions below) per household will be required by one of the following:
- Pay stubs within the past 30 days
- Notarized letter from employer on company letterhead verifying current income and employment. This must be accompanied with professionally prepared tax forms from the previous year.
- Third Party Income Verification
- Applicants with NO EMPLOYMENT must provide proof of bank balance equal to or greater than 6 months of rent and post a Refundable Deposit equal to 1 month’s rent, or apply with a qualified and approved co-signer.
The combined monthly household income must total a minimum of 2.5 times the monthly rent. Depending on the rental unit available, a maximum annual household income may be imposed and may not exceed a specified percentage of Area Median Income (AMI) due to NSP2 funds received by SALT. The Maximum annual income is based upon the total number of people who will be residing in the house per the income guidelines set by HUD. If a rental listing or advertisement is subject to income restrictions, it will be noted in the listing or ad. For more specific information on the restriction, please contact SALT.
Applicants Without A Social Security Number:
If the applicant has no social security number, the following will be required:
- Proof of foreign citizenship (passport, work visa, etc.)
- A Refundable Deposit equal to 1.5 month’s rent
- Bank statements showing recurring pay deposits.
- OR Previous Year Income Tax Return Prepared by a Professional Tax Accountant
- OR Proof of Bank Balance equal or greater than 6 months of rent.
Management reserves the right to verify residence history for the last 2 years. If unable to verify any portion of your residency, or to receive positive rental history, additional refundable deposits may be required or the application may be declined. Management reserves the right to decline an application based upon unfavorable report(s) from prior landlords. Management reserves the right to require a refundable deposit equal to 1.5 month’s rent.
Maximum Occupancy Standards
- One Bedroom House Three persons
- Two Bedroom House Five persons
- Three Bedroom House Seven persons
- Four Bedroom House Nine persons
- Application Fee: $35 Per Adult
- Refundable Deposit: (minimum) Equal To One Month’s Rent
- Non-Refundable Administrative Fee: $150.00
Pet* Criteria and Deposits
- A cat or dog is considered a pet.
- Residents must sign Pet Agreement Form
- Pet Deposits and fees:
$150.00 refundable pet deposit $150.00 Non-Refundable pet fee
- A maximum of two animals per house. Additional pets may be allowed with management approval and additional refundable security deposit.
- No Ferrets as pets.
- Service and Companion Animals are not classified as pets and are not subject to the above criteria. See management for requirements.
Applicants will automatically be denied residency if:
- Have ever been convicted of the following crimes:
- Any felony or misdemeanor that involves violence against another living thing.
- Any sexual related crime.
- Any felony or misdemeanor that involves drug manufacturing, distributions, intent to sell, etc.
- Any other felony (including drug possession or criminal damage) within the past 15 years.
- Most misdemeanors within the past 3 years.
- Registered sex offender(s).
- Make a falsification on any information entered on the application.
- Have been evicted for non-compliance issues from any other residence within the past 5 years. Evictions for other reasons (such as non-payment) may be given further consideration if not more than recent than 3 years. Management reserves the right to approve or deny applications based upon negative results of conversations, correspondence, or proof of debt with previous landlords.
- Convictions that are older than the time frames listed above are reviewable by management. Clear patterns of criminal behavior may lead to denial of an application. Pending cases will be treated as convictions until officially dismissed by the supervising court. (Eliminate this part) A DUI is not grounds for denying an application as long as no other crime is associated with it.
Obtaining renter’s insurance is strongly encouraged to protect personal property. Applicant is advised to provide management a copy of renter’s insurance at time of move in.