INVEST IN TUCSON BY SUPPORTING SALT
YOU CAN HELP! SALT needs and depends on charitable gifts or bequests of cash, real estate, and donations of securities or other valuable assets.
SALT is a 501(c)(3) exempt organization and all contributions to SALT are tax deductible. SALT’s Tax ID# is 26-2948288.
Arizona Tax Credit
If you pay Arizona state income taxes, you are able to make a donation to SALT and claim that donation as a tax credit. SALT has been designated by the Arizona Department of Revenue as a Qualified Charitable Organization. If you have paid or will pay Arizona state income taxes for 2017, you can make a donation to SALT and claim a credit against your state income tax liability up to the amounts allowed for the current tax year (See table below).
Arizona Tax Credit for Donations to Organizations Serving the Working Poor
|Single Filers||Joint Filers|
The Arizona Tax Credit program allows taxpayers to receive a DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR tax credit on your Arizona state income tax liability when you donate to SALT, even if you’re already receiving similar tax credits for a gift to a public or private school. Arizona allows each of these credits to be taken simultaneously, including one for organizations like SALT who serve the working poor. In addition to the Arizona state tax credit, you can also claim your donation as a deduction on your federal taxes
Some additional things to note about this credit . . .
- You DO NOT need to itemize the deductions on your tax return in order to receive this credit.
- If you do not have any Arizona state income tax liability for the current year or tax liability that is greater than the donation, you may carry the unused portion of the available tax credit forward for up to five (5) years.
- As a result of changes in the law, the deadline for donations is no longer December 31. Donations can be mailed or submitted online to SALT prior to filing your tax return but not later than April 18th, 2018 and still be eligible for the tax credit for the previous year.
All of this means that money you would otherwise pay in Arizona taxes can directly benefit your community by helping SALT provide high quality and energy efficient affordable housing. You have the opportunity to direct where your tax dollars will be spent!
How Can You donate?
- Mail a Check. You can send a donation directly to our offices at 3044 North Alvernon Way, Tucson, AZ 85712 with our donation card. Download a Donation Card.
- Donate Online. You can donate online by using your debit or credit card using our secure donor portal by clicking on the button above.
- By Phone. Call our offices at 520.352.2626. We can take your donation by phone as well as answering any questions you might have about SALT’s mission or the Arizona tax credits available to you.
- Monthly Donations. If you’d like to spread out your giving, you can schedule monthly transactions through your debit or credit card. Receipts will be sent within a week of each transaction.
- Withholdings. You can also donate through the Arizona state tax that is already being withheld from your paycheck. Instead of sending that money to the State, your employer can send it directly to SALT as an installment toward your annual donation.
- Matching Gifts. SALT works with donors to take advantage of certain companies’ matching gift programs.
As always, please consult with your tax professional to determine how your particular situation may be affected by these donations as well as the available credits and deductions.