The Sonoran Desert is more well known for its summers rather than its winters, but believe it or not it does freeze here in the Old Pueblo! Here are some tips from Tucson Water to make your winter nights cozy and your winter mornings stress free:
- Check your property for exposed pipes and plumbing that carry water (including outdoor faucets, bibs, and valves).
- Use foam or wrap insulation to protect pipes from freezing. Inspect existing insulation, especially in areas exposed to elements.
- Temporary insulation (towels, blankets, newspaper, etc.) is better than nothing.
- Seal all areas that allow cold outside air to get in where pipes are located.
- Newer homes may have poly piping in the attic; this may also need insulation.
- Remove, drain, and store outdoor hoses inside.
- Let cold water drip from a faucet during times of extremely frigid temperatures.
And always remember the four P’s– People need to find shelter, Pets must be inside, Plants should be covered and Pipes need to be covered!